There are many, many things to think about when revising a novel. When you read back over that first draft, you might spot any of the following that need attention:
- character arc
- memories/flashbacks to insert
- scenes to add/remove/tighten
- relationship arcs
- themes to strengthen (or give a lighter touch)
- plot structure
Need I go on. But, dear writers who are anything like me, remember these two important rules before tackling that rewrite:
- You can only work on one thing at a time.
- You finished the book, so whenever needed–celebrate!
Okay, not sure if the last is a rule—but I did finish the Peru book. So far, its temporary titles include “Peru story,” “Peru book,” “Luciana’s Story,” and “Luciana Unlimited.” None of them really work. My husband and dear first-draft reader promised to come up with a better one for me.
Back to the rewrite….