10 Signs You’re Adjusting to Ebooks

Ebooks: I know, I know—electronic books can never provide the same tactile satisfaction of holding an actual book in your hands.

A ebooks’ pages don’t crinkle (unless you have an app for it). You can’t savor weight and slick cover of a trade paperback, or appreciate the ruffled look of rough cut binding. Worst of all, you can’t (usually) loan them to your friends. But even this die-hard book lover is finding that e-books have certain advantages.

HikingArtist-dot-com 2Photo Credit

Are e-books winning you over? Here are ten signs that you might be adjusting to reading on a screen:
  1. When you read an unfamiliar word in a hard copy book, you try tapping the page to look up its definition.
  2. When you pick up another copy of the book you’re reading, you expect it to sync to furthest page read.
  3. You try to buy a book online, and are frustrated that you have to wait days—DAYS!—before reading it because (gasp!) no Kindle or Nook versions are available.
  4. You turn out the light while reading in bed, expecting the screen to brighten automatically.
  5. You put your magazine away when the flight attendant announces that “electrical devices are prohibited until the plane reaches cruising altitude.”
  6. You’re extraordinarily excited to learn there’s an app that allows authors to digitally “sign” electronic copies of their books.
  7. You stop packing an extra suitcase for your reading material, because you can load it all onto your phone/kindle/computer
  8. When you travel, you preferentially choose e-books BECAUSE you can load them onto your phone/Kindle/computer.
  9. If you travel outside your 3G network, you panic: how will you sync your Kindle library? What if you finish your book? The horror!
  10. You still adore used bookstores—but recognize that they have an unfortunate drawback: they only carry analog book editions.

What about you? Are you a convert to ebooks? Please share your thoughts in the comments!

Comments

i think the only real drawwback of ebooks is poor formatting that sometimes sneaks in. Seems like publishers are a little more lax with ebooks.

mood

No kidding! That makes me a little crazy. I wonder why that is? You’d think they could just convert a file automatically and avoid formatting snafus.

Yeah, the poor formatting bugs me too. But I like e-books – except that now I have more to read, since I read physical books too, so I need more reading time!

Right, me too! My physical to-read pile seems to grow just as quickly as it did before ebooks came to be. I’ve noticed that I get to books on my phone more quickly than I do electronic books, though.

The only downside that I can see is that the pile of books waiting to be read has grown to gigantic proportions because I don’t have a physical wobbly tower starting at me accusingly :-)

Lol, so true! Gosh, there really is an app for everything. I have to see the book signing one.

I still love physical books, especially since I can get them so cheap at our local library booksales (but that also means when I buy an ebook, the author is actually getting a cut, rather than nothing beyond the original royalty when the library bought their copy). Most of the titles I buy at the booksales are intended for my nieces and nephews anyway (unless I read it first and decide to keep it!) and since their parents won’t let them have ereaders this will have to do for now. As for my own use, I read on my Kindle and tablet regularly and loved that I could change the font size when I had eye surgery recently.

I’ve been using my ereader more and more and more. I read almost all of my books on it now :)

I have yet to convert to ereaders. I have SO MANY books on my TBR pile that I want to get through before I switch. However, I recently upgraded to a smart phone and that was pretty much life changing, so I imagine an ereader isn’t far behind. But for now, I’m holding out.