About the Symbols for Writers Series: I’ve found that symbols and imagery can trigger valuable insights into writing, life, problem-solving, finding joy, and more. This series was born because I wanted a collection of symbolic images coupled with text and questions intended to kick-start the creative process, help identify a creative block, or aid expression of complex concepts in condensed packages–and I thought you might enjoy such a collection, too! If you’d like to know more about how the Symbols for Writers series came to be, check out the first post in the series.
How to Use
This week’s image is meant to inspire thoughts about success and what it means in your personal universe. You can also use the image as a creative prompt, or as a reminder of some key idea you want to remember in the coming week. Have fun!
SOMETHING THAT IS: UNPREDICTABLE
OUT OF CONTROL
HIDDEN & THREATENING
* * *
SNAKES CAN ALSO SYMBOLIZE TRANSFORMATION
SHEDDING THE OLD, AS A SNAKE SHEDS ITS SKIN
What thoughts and emotions does this image bring to mind?
Take a good look at the image above, then close your eyes and take a few slow, deep breaths. Let your thoughts wander through the meanings this symbol can carry.
- Is your gut reaction to the snake image positive or negative?
- If positive, what transformation might the snake image bring to mind?
- Is there a change happening–or a change that needs to happen–in your life?
- Can the snake help you think about a transformation one of your characters is undergoing?
- If your reaction is negative, what feels unpredictable or out of control in your writing life?
- Consider how these ideas might apply to your characters: does one of them face something beyond their control?
- Do they face a betrayal? A danger that might strike without warning, like a snake’s sudden attack?
Take 5 minutes and journal about the snake symbol and the thoughts or images it sparks.
How could this image relate to something in your writing life? Please share in the comments!