We started talking about perfectionism–and how to bypass it–in last week’s post.
If you haven’t already read it, it takes a deep dive into Tip #1 – Reframe Writing as Playing. You’ll also hear a bit about how perfectionism has held me back from some types of writing (cough**picture books**cough) for waaaaaay too long.
Go take a look, then return here for tips 2 through 4!
Tip #2: Remove Artificial Constraints
If you’re feeling stuck, it often helps to broaden your definition of what counts as “writing.”
- Don’t feel like writing the next scene? Feel free to skip around in the narrative.
- Not sure where your story is going? Try writing about your writing — journaling about the writing process.
- Consider making lists to help you brainstorm. For example, list
- Actions your character might take
- Words that elicit a specific mood
- Potential rhymes to serve as reference when stringing words together
- Or simply select an intriguing entry from your idea log and start freewriting!